Saturday, 26 March 2016

Co-Dependancy

You can find this post on my new blog at
https://pancreasless.wordpress.com/2016/03/26/co-dependancy/


Recently, I've had a few VERY low hypos. I had a 2.1 just as I was leaving somewhere on my own. I was so confused that I didn't know how much Lucozade I had drunk, or needed to drink, so my first instinct was to call my mum.

A few days later I was just leaving a shop with my dad and I was 1.7. This time my dad was there to help me, but when I reached 3.2 and started heading back down again for some reason, my first instinct was to call my mum.

About a year ago I was in town, again alone (I had only been out about 15 minutes), when I decided to test and I was under 1.1. I didn't even have Lucozade, I called my mum instead.

Each time I have a bad low without my mum there -  my first instinct is to talk to her. Because I know that she will either come and get me or at least sort it out and somehow in my hypo state I realise that. Probably because she's never failed to help me before! I guess it's quite a good thing that I call my mum though, it's a lot better than my first instinct being to go and do 10 star jumps or something stupid as you would expect a hypo person to think of doing.

Because I've nearly finished my GCSEs, I've had to think of the future quite a lot recently and in particular -what I'm going to do Diabetes-wise when I don't live with my mum. I've realised that I definitely need people around me to help me when things get too bad or too much with my diabetes, so I'm going to have to find that person who I trust my life with (and that's difficult to do!) but I'm worried that I won't. I simply can't do diabetes by myself and I never EVER want to live alone. Whether I find a boyfriend, best friend or group of friends to room with, I would rather live at home with my mum and travel 2 hours to university than live alone!

On the more positive side, I keep on thinking about the fact if I end up in medical school, all my peers will more than likely be very interested in all my medical problems and hopefully (fingers crossed!) willing to help me if I need it. They would also, hopefully, grasp the seriousness of it all and not panic in an emergency. Hopefully.

I don't really know what my future holds, but I'm going to make sure I don't do whatever it is alone.

4 comments:

  1. I am also codependent, but on my wife, who rescues me more than I like. In a way being insulin dependent means we each have to find our codependent person to share the disease with. That is a secret we seldom share with others.

    I added this item to the TUDiabetes blog page for the week of March 28, 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you for commenting and adding my post to the blog page! I completely agree with you about finding someone to share the burden of diabetes with who is willing to help:)

      Delete
  2. Hi Jess I completely understand where you are coming from! I have found that being completely open with flatmates, giving them written instructions (my current housemates have a google document telling them what my hypo symptoms are, what to do if I show them, where my supplies are kept, what to do if I fall unconcious etc). When I lived in halls at uni, I asked my flatmates to knock on my door if they hadn't heard from me in a while.

    I've never lived alone, although when my housemates are away like over Easter, I am alone in the house. I keep in regular contact with my family and boyfriend, and they would know something was wrong if I didn't contact them each day.

    You will find ways to make it work! Trust me commuting hours each day is horrendous - find a bunch of nice people and live with them. People are surprisingly kind and willing to help others out.

    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, that's what I plan on doing - finding some really nice people to live with! I don't really want to commute, I'd love to have the normal uni experience but I will need help from some very nice people and I hope I find them quickly:)

      Delete